Mauryan Empire Legal Code of Law
The Mauryan empire was found at
around 313 B.C.E After the Persian empire fell Alexander the great
took over. His large army conquered a vast region which would later be the
land of the Mauryan Empire. There are not many written records of legal
code or government until Asoka came into power. His laws and ideas were
carved into tall pillars which still stand.
- "All men are my children" were the words of Asoka but even though
he let the people choose their faith, he still tried to make Buddhism the
- The death penalty was enforced but eased up on other harsh punishment.
- The criminals who were sentenced to death were given three days
to settle affairs and relationships before they were put to death.
- Animal slaughter was prohibited in religious cerimonies for sacrifices,
and he declared many species as safe and protected animals.
- Asoka became a vegetarian and encouraged others to follow his
way and limit eating meat as much as possible.
- Obedience to parents, kindness to servants, generosity to friends
and respect to holy men were the virtues that Asoka set his people to follow
- Asoka created the morality officers to watch over his officials
to make sure they followed his codes of behaviors.
- The officers were allowed to examin private lives to make sure
Asokas laws were being upheld.